Flip video cameras are a useful tool in language classes as they are extremely easy to use and fairly inexpensive. With a class set of flip cameras, students can interview each other, perform skits in the target language, create their own “commercials” or music videos and much more. In order to produce a “professional” video, students will work on their project from storyboarding to rehearsal and finally to filming.
|Collaborative Tools, Presentation Tools, Video Tools||
|Advanced, Beginner, Intermediate, Novice|
|Visit Flip Cameras Website||
|PC or Mac|
Here are the basics:
- Flip cameras are easy to use.
- They have a built in digital camera and a built in microphone.
- They have only a few buttons: Turn on/off, Record, Play, Delete and Zoom buttons. That’s it! Here is an image that shows you everything:
Flip Camera Demonstration
Video: How to Use a Flip Camera (Mohamed Esa)
Record an Interview with a Partner
- Turn on the flip camera
- Point the camera toward yourself and ask a question
- Turn the camera around and tape your partner answering the question. Repeat these steps until you are finished with Interview.
- Plug in the camera into your computer using the flip-out USB arm
- Follow instructions on the screen to upload your video onto your computer.
- Edit your video using the software provided by the Flip camera
- Upload your video onto YouTube or any other online video site.
Additional Resources and Works Cited